7 basic rules for staying healthy
1. Follow the basic rules of healthy foot care and educate yourself regarding your condition.
2. Follow your physicians advice for managing other aspects of your diabetes.
3. Monitor your blood sugar regularly.
4. Eat healthy, your dietitian will have some good advice.
5. Take your prescribed medications.
6. Enjoy some physical activity every day, be it walking, stretching or biking, etc.
7. If you smoke...stop now.
Quiting smoking is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your family. You may have learned what smoking can do to your lungs. But have you learned that smoking can cause problems with your blood vessels? Combine this damage with the negative effects of diabetes on your circulatory system and you are in a dangerous situation. Smokers are more likely to experience amputations from diabetes related complications.
Please see my link to Quit Smoking Community for more information on how to help yourself stay healthy.
Thank-you to Orthofeet for some of this information.